Sunday 12 January 2014

Der Große Bunkerberg

It's been a little while since I've been out and about for a decent walk. So today I said to Mama and Papa 'LET'S GO WALKIES!'

'Where to?' they asked, and I said 'Let's go to the Volkspark Friedrichshain and climb the big bunker mountain thing'...'okay' they said.

So off we went, a reasonable walk to the Friedrichshain park and quite a nice day too. Now, what is this bunker thing? Well, at this park are two 'hills' which were formerly anti-aircraft towers built for some scuffle the Germans had with some other countries a million years ago.

Since that snafu was settled, the flak towers were destroyed and covered over in rubble and earth. Now they appear to be natural hills with trees all over.

In our local park there are two of this hills, a 'small' one and a 'big' one. We'd been to the top of the small one before and so now we went to the big one.

Volkspark Friedrichshain Der Große Bunkerberg dog walk

I was surprised when we got to the big hill that Papa let me off the leash. They never usually let me do that. I though 'wow, they are really trusting me, I'll be good for them and stay close by'.

Volkspark Friedrichshain Der Große Bunkerberg dog walk

I felt so happy being off the leash, being part of 'the team' rather than being pulled in whichever way THEY want to go.

Volkspark Friedrichshain Der Große Bunkerberg dog walk

Then as I was walking up a long line of steps I heard Papa say to Mama 'so yea, he can't really run away from us coz there's only this path and nowhere else to go...'

Fuckers. They still don't trust me.

So I ran off.

But I got tired quickly and they caught up with me and put me back on the leash. Bah. 

Volkspark Friedrichshain Der Große Bunkerberg dog walk

Up the top of the Große Bunkerberg is was quite muddy as we had some rain overnight - so being back on the lead was no biggie - Papa needed to carry me over the crap anyway. I said that they better put me on the ledge for a photo, and then we could go.

We went back down the hill on another path, and apart from some concrete sticking out of the ground, you would never realise that this thing was a former flak tower! Pretty cool eh.

Volkspark Friedrichshain Der Große Bunkerberg dog walk


 It was quite a big walk for me, so I recommended that we go home. It was getting dark and cold and I was knackered.

I think it was a pretty good suggestion from me to go there, they seemed to enjoy it and I liked being off the lead (until I realised they still don't trust me).

Good on me. Suggestion King.

No comments:

Post a Comment